Training and Supervision Plan
Training and supervision plan
The Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) is intended to help PhD candidates and supervisors discuss mutual expectations and monitor the progress of a PhD project during regularly scheduled evaluation meetings. The TSP should be seen as a flexible document that can be updated throughout the PhD trajectory. PhD candidates and their supervisory team are responsible for drafting, updating and complying with the TSP. The TSP should be completed within the first three months of a PhD project. A TSP should include the following:
- Supervisory team
- A project description
- An indication of how often the PhD candidate and their supervisors meet. In the first couple of months, meeting your supervisor/s once every two weeks is considered a minimum; once every week is preferable. Meetings should have specified goals (e.g., giving an oral update or discussing a paper) that are clear to everyone involved and they should be oriented at enabling the PhD candidate to make progress. An overview with the planning of all intended research deliverables, such as literature reviews, research papers and presentations.
- Plan for regular moments (e.g., twice a year) of reflection and feedback on the supervision. Suggestions for which (mandatory) courses or conferences the PhD candidate could attend. More information about Erasmus MC PhD education can be found here.
- Teaching responsibilities of the PhD candidate.
- Rules and agreements regarding co-authorship and collaborations in research more generally.
- PhD candidates are in addition advised to keep a portfolio with all realized research and teaching output as an appendix to the TSP document, as a way to indicate how the initially intended activities and planning were changed or expanded in the course of time.
- The TSP needs to have the signature of the PhD candidate and the entire supervisory team
Erasmus MC TSP Template
Please find the Erasmus MC TSP template here.1
1 The TSP applies to all PhD candidates, not just OIOs. This page is not accessible outside Erasmus MC.
Upload in Hora Finita
A signed version of the TSP has to be uploaded in Hora Finita within three months after the start of the PhD project. Your TSP needs to be signed by yourself and all your (co)supervisors.